Thursday, August 19, 2010

Devotional, Thursday, August 19th

Job 1:21 (New International Version)



NAKED I CAME FROM MY MOTHER’S WOMB,
AND NAKED I WILL DEPART.
THE LORD GAVE AND THE LORD HAS TAKEN AWAY;
MAY THE NAME OF THE LORD BE PRAISED.


Job was a man who honoured God; he had been blessed by God. Satan took away the evidence of that blessing but the presence and caring of God remained. God allowed Satan to intervene in Job’s life. Job questioned God. He called out to God. He demanded an audience with God for answers and confirmation that he was blameless. Job’s wife and friends confronted him. People from his community who had respected him now scorned him.


Job admitted his sin and confirmed his belief in God. God answered Job “out of the storm”; Job’s life was in turmoil. God responded to Job with questions which Job could not answer. Although Job loved God he could not see God’s perspective. God showed Job that God was in control. Job acknowledges, “My ears had heard of you but now my eyes have seen you.” Job called out to God until he heard God’s answers.


Job’s story challenges me to acknowledge God’s provision. Throughout my life change has been constant. Life has not proceeded according to plan. The plan has changed many times, and likely will again. God loves me. He has directed me and provided for me and helped me to learn. But still, when change is upon me I struggle to meet it with confidence. Instead of calling on God to lead me I resist the change. Instead of relying on God’s strength I feel inadequate and overwhelmed. God has prepared me and challenges me to step forward. I am responsible to use the skills He has given and the strength He provides.


This opportunity to travel to Kenya is a gift from God. God has supplied the resources to allow me to see the beauties of the world and His provision in the lives of people I will meet. I will be challenged to learn new things and contribute the skills the Lord has taught me.


Will I understand “the bigger picture” that God sees? I may not. But I can be sure that God loves me and will meet my needs as I ask Him. Open my eyes, Lord, to see You. Open my mouth, Lord, to praise you. Let me learn through this experience, to use the gifts and skills you have given me to embrace change in my life, “for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose.” Philippians 2:13 NIV.


Janice Evans










No comments: