Thursday, August 19, 2010

Kamba Names

On our last day of work during the 2008 trip we all received Kamba names.  It's safe to say we are all as proud of them as we are of our family names and we share them with everyone we meet here.  It puts a HUGE smile on the face of any Kamba to find out that we have Kamba names and generally it begins a conversation about the number of people in the room whom also have that name and of course the meanings of them.

Because neither Janice nor Colleen had been here on the last trip they were still in need of this honour and thankfully Judy (the ABC Development Director) didn't keep them waiting too long.

Janice has been named Mwendae meaning the one who is loved.  This is also the female version of Eric's name and I contend that must mean that I am very good at showing my love for them as I'm the common denominator in that equation…neither of them are convinced.  Either way anyone who knows Janice will agree this is the perfect name for her

Colleen has been given the name Mutethya meaning the one who comes to the rescue.  I find this poignant given her job at the church and the fact I think she regularly comes to the rescue of a lot of us in that role.

It really amazes me that someone can know any of us for such a short period of time and yet find names that are so perfect.  I suppose the Kamba must have a gift for this.  We should all be so lucky to understand others so well so fast.

lisa

No comments: