Thursday, August 19, 2010

Mama Boss Lady

While we were in Nzeluni helping with the build there was a group of ladies who cooked for us everyday.  One lady in particular was always in charge and was the only person I saw who could get the kids to stand in a line while we handed out stickers or candy or anything else for that matter.  Because of this I took to calling her Mama Boss Lady and she seemed to enjoy it immensely.

On the last day as we were talking about what the team's plans were I mentioned we were headed back to Machakos.  To my amazement she told me she had been born in Machakos and had met her husband in Nairobi and then moved to Nzeluni.  She hasn't left Nzeluni since and my best guess would tell me that's at least thirty years ago.

I know that in Canada you wouldn't think twice about meeting someone in a town 2-6 hours away that grew up in your hometown.   In Kenya, where we met a town full of kids who likely had never seen a white person before last week it's down right amazing.  It was a great reminder of the connections that surround us even when we aren't expecting them.

lisa

No comments: